Governor & Legislature Postpone Decision on Funding Student Transit Passes

California Governor Jerry Brown and legislative leaders are postponing the decision on whether to spend $25 million in Cap & Trade revenues on student transit passes until after adopting the state’s budget on June 15. The decision is to be made by September 11.

Move LA, the California Bicycle Coalition and the Sustainable Communities for All coalition had succeeded in getting $25 million for transit passes into the Assembly’s budget proposal, and an additional $25 million for the state’s Active Transportation Program – but not into the Senate’s budget proposal.

The state’s Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund (GGRF) continuously appropriates 60% of all Cap & Trade revenues to transit, affordable housing and sustainable communities, but the Assembly and Senate had been debating how to spend the remaining 40%.

Move LA believes there is still enormous opportunity to win this funding for transit passes and will continue to make the case for the allocation and to organize supporters between now and then. Look for a draft letter of support from us soon.

Donate Volunteer Find an Event


get updates