Join Cal Poly Pomona College of Environmental Design, Move Inland Empire, and Move LA to explore ways that communities in Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside counties can work together to leverage each other’s assets with the goal of shared prosperity and sustainable development—in the San Gabriel, Pomona and San Bernardino Valleys and in east LA County! What are the opportunities?
- Ontario Airport: Probably the biggest asset and economic development opportunity in the Inland Empire and expected to be under local control soon. How can we work together to ensure a re-emerging Ontario Airport will fulfill its mission as the region’s second major international airport and create new economic development opportunities within its catchment area?
- Metrolink: How can faster and more frequent service provide new economic and community development opportunities, especially if it's connected into Ontario Airport? Can all-day express service between ONT and booming Downtown LA enable both the airport and the commuter rail system to become a larger economic asset for all 3 counties?
- Foothill Gold Line: Plans to extend the line further into east LA County could create opportunities for rail transit into the Inland Empire. How do we ensure benefits and burdens are shared?
- Transit-oriented communities: How can communities in each county take full advantage of the community development opportunities that commuter and light rail systems could create—especially with funding from the state's Affordable Housing and Sustainable Communities (AHSC) program?
- Goods movement: Can we collaborate on making the goods movement industry cleaner and greener and reduce the air pollution caused by diesel?
- Creating good blue collar and white collar jobs: Can all these assets help to create better access to higher education and jobs in the high-tech and bio-tech industries?
Special guest Federal Aviation Administrator Michael Huerta will provide the keynote, talking about how aviation can be a regional economic driver and how transit connections to airports can create opportunity.
Register now for Greener Valleys 2016: Creating Jobs and Livable Communities in the Inland Empire and the San Gabriel Valley, Monday, June 13, 9:30 am – 3:15 pm, at Cal Poly Pomona’s Kellogg West Conference Center. Pomona, CA.