We need your support for SB 732, a bill authored by State Senator Ben Allen that will create the opportunity of a lifetime for Southern California.
SB 732 will make it possible for Southern Californians to vote to finally clean the air and at the same time dramatically reduce the greenhouse gas emissions that cause climate change.
SB 732 will also make it possible for us to create a clean, regional, high-velocity rail system to seriously reduce traffic throughout Southern California.
And it would cost each of us about a dime a day. Would you vote "Yes" for a measure like this?
Of course you would! That is why we need your support for SB 732. Click here to send an email right now to key legislators and their staff to help us move this critical legislation forward.
SB 732 is sponsored by the South Coast Air Quality Management District, championed by Move LA and by our emerging partner, Move SoCal, as well as a growing list of Southern California leaders and organizations.
SB 732 will authorize a sales tax measure to be placed on the ballot in the South Coast Air District—which includes LA, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties—by either the Air District itself or by voter initiative, whereby voters can ensure the success of our emission-busting efforts themselves. (A voter initiative may require only a simple majority vote to pass as opposed to the 2/3 vote required for an SCAQMD measure.)
This regional measure could raise the funds needed to finally ensure clean, healthy air, dramatically reduce greenhouses gas emissions and build high-velocity regional transit throughout Southern California, and accelerate local transit initiatives.
California already leads the world in the fight against climate change. But if SB 732 is approved Southern California can double down on Sacramento’s exceptional leadership by enabling funding for major new incentives that will:
- ACCELERATE development and deployment of zero and near-zero emission vehicles and equipment: not just cars and SUVs but also medium and heavy-duty trucks, locomotives, construction and port equipment, trains, boats, ships and airplanes—which amounts to just about everything that moves—as well as charging and fueling infrastructure on a scale not yet seen anywhere.
- CREATE funding for investments that can make Metrolink a high-velocity zero-emission commuter rail system providing express transit service throughout the region.
- PROVIDE funding for local transit, walking and biking projects, as called for in transportation plans that have been approved by county transportation commissions in LA, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties.
- Sen Anthony Portantino, Chair, Senate Committee on Appropriations: (916) 651-4025; [email protected]; [email protected]
Members, State Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Senator Patricia C. Bates (Vice Chair)
- Senator Steven Bradford
- Senator Maria Elena Durazo
- Senator Jerry Hill
- Senator Brian W. Jones
- Senator Bob Wieckowski
Thank you very much for supporting SB 732!