Prop 6 would eliminate funding for more than 6,500 local bridge and road safety and transportation improvement projects. That's why the California Professional Firefighters, California Association of Highway Patrolmen, American Society of Civil Engineers, business, local government, labor, environmentalists all urge you to vote NO on Prop 6—because it will stop critical transportation projects and jeopardize the safety of bridges and roads. Our broad coalition also opposes this measure because it would:
- Jeopardize public safety. Cracked, potholed roads in poor condition pose a major safety threat to California drivers. Currently, 89% of counties have roads that are in poor or at-risk condition and 25% of our bridges show significant deterioration. This measure will cut funding currently dedicated to fixing roads and upgrading freeways, bridges, tunnels and overpasses to make them safer.
- Stop transportation improvement projects already underway in every community. This measure would eliminate funds already flowing to every community to fix potholes, make safety improvements, ease traffic congestion, upgrade bridges, and improve public transportation. More than 5,000 local transportation improvement projects are already underway across the state thanks to SB 1.
- Make traffic congestion worse. Our freeways and major thoroughfares are among the most congested in the nation, and Californians spend too much time stuck in traffic away from family and work. This measure would stop projects that will reduce traffic congestion.
- Cost drivers and taxpayers more money in the long-run. The average driver spends $739 per year on front end alignments, body damage, shocks, tires and other repairs because of bad roads and bridges. Additionally, it costs eight times more to fix a road than to maintain it. By delaying or stopping projects, this measure will cost motorists more money in the long run.
- Hurt job creation and our economy. Reliable transportation infrastructure is critical to get Californians to work, move goods and services to the market, and support our economy. This measure would eliminate more than 680,000 good-paying jobs and nearly $183 billion in economic growth that will be created fixing our roads over the next decade.
Please join our us in voting No on Prop 6 in November!
Yes I support the No on Prop 6 Campaign.
I might support the No on Prop 6 Campaign, tell me more.
No I do not support to No on Prop 6 Campaign.
Spread the word